For your TGIF procrastinating pleasure, take a look at the latest video from one of Oklahoma’s favorite singer-songwriters, Travis Linville.
“It’s a tip of the hat to that laid back country vibe that I grew up hearing on Merle Haggard records and the sounds he grew up loving on Lefty Frizzell records,” Linville stated in a press release about the video.
“Bar Room” was uploaded Dec. 1, 2016, in anticipation of Linville’s latest full-length album, Up Ahead, which was released today on CEN/RED Distribution, a division of Sony Music. A regional tour begins tonight to promote the album.
Up Ahead: A ‘fully focused’ effort
On Linville’s PledgeMusic.com site, the musician explains Up Ahead: “Ten new original songs about love, loss, the passage of time and finding your way toward what lies up ahead.” A portion of album sales purchased in advance through that site benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Last week, NPR Music featured a track from Up Ahead, Wishes, in its monthly Heavy Rotation feature. In promoting the album, KOSU The Spy radio personality Ryan LaCroix described it as “a fully focused solo effort” from a musician whose 20-year career has garnered him prominence mostly as an instrumentalist with Hayes Carll. (Here’s Linville performing with Carll on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno from 2011.)
Travis Linville tour dates
Linville’s recent tours include national runs with Parker Millsap and several international dates as a supporting act and band member for Hayes Carll. To support the new album, Linville hits the road starting tonight for solo appearances and guest slots with Carll and John Moreland.
Dates can be found below (with more to be added, according to press releases).
- Feb. 03 – Oklahoma City – Blue Door
- Feb. 04 – Little Rock – Whitewater Tavern
- Feb. 06 – Nashville – The Basement
- Feb. 08 – New Orleans – Chickie Wah Wah
- Feb. 09 – Houston – Mucky Duck
- Feb. 10 – Austin – Saxon Pub
- Feb. 11 – Fort Worth – Live Oak
- Feb. 15 – Tulsa – Mercury Lounge
- Feb. 16 – Kansas City – Folk Alliance International
- Feb. 17 – Kansas City – Folk Alliance International
- Feb. 18 – Kansas City – Folk Alliance International
- Feb. 22 – Tulsa – Mercury Lounge
- Feb. 28 – Oklahoma City – JJ’s Alley