“I think being a liberal, in the true sense, is being nondoctrinaire, nondogmatic, non-committed to a cause – but examining each case on its merits. Being left of center is another thing; it’s a political position. I think most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they’re not liberal, by my definition of it, then they can hardly be good newspapermen. If they’re preordained dogmatists for a cause, then they can’t be very good journalists; that is, if they carry it into their journalism.”
— Walter Cronkite in a Playboy interview, 1973
NonDoc.com is operated by the Sustainable Journalism Foundation, an entity that has filed for nonprofit status and is governed by a local board of directors in Oklahoma, DBA: NonDoc Media.
NonDoc’s editorial goals are simple and staked in “the public good.” Our governing board, editors and reporters value responsible news coverage, intelligent analysis, poignant photography and sharp humor. We strive to present our content accurately, fairly and transparently.
We seek to publish diverse, interesting voices while serving as “a filter” and not a funnel, highlighting quality work from local and national sources while providing extra information and insight when possible. In addition to traditional reportage, we regularly feature commentary and opinion pieces from across the political spectrum. Our hope is you find yourself a little more informed and engaged by content that matters in our city and our world.
Good journalism and respectful public dialogue benefit every community, and at NonDoc we offer a forum for the engaged and curious reader. Thank you for visiting our site, and please consider supporting our work.
The Sustainable Journalism Foundation
Meet our board:
History of NonDoc Media
- NonDoc Media launched Sept. 1, 2015.
- Founder Andrew Rice sold NonDoc to his editors July 1, 2016.
- Rosemary Meacham-Zittell and Ashiq Zaman joined the company in 2016.
- Longtime managing editor Josh McBee stepped away from NonDoc to pursue other interests Feb. 1, 2019.
- In December 2019, NonDoc Media transitioned to nonprofit operations as the Sustainable Journalism Foundation, DBA: NonDoc Media. Former co-owners Rosemary Meacham-Zittel and Ashiq Zaman ended their site ownership, and a nonprofit board of directors was appointed.
- Our 501c3 application as the Sustainable Journalism Foundation — DBA: NonDoc Media — was approved in August 2020.
- In January 2021, veteran journalist Warren Vieth joined our board of directors, and editor in chief Tres Savage transitioned to an ex officio and non-voting seat on the board.
NonDoc print republication policy
In June 2020, NonDoc announced that print publications within the state of Oklahoma can republish original NonDoc content in their print editions.
Editors wishing to republish a NonDoc piece in print just need to alert us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and following some simple rules:
- Bylines must include the author’s name and “NonDoc.com”;
- If a piece needs to be trimmed significantly for space limitations, you must ask us for guidance via email@example.com or by contacting us another way;
- If a piece is labeled “commentary” on NonDoc, it must be noted as “commentary” or “opinion” in print. (Our yellow “commentary” label appears above the featured photo on our articles).
NonDoc correction policy
NonDoc Media corrects errors of fact identified in the pieces we publish. Corrections are noted by time and date at either the top or bottom of a piece, depending upon the significance of the fact error originally published. The error itself is described generally within the correction notation, but it is not repeated.
Social media posts identified to contain errors of fact are rarely deleted but are edited when possible or replied to with a note of the corrected information. To alert us about an error of fact on our site, please contact one of our editors.
In May 2018, the Oklahoma chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists honored NonDoc with five awards for our content. In May 2019, NonDoc won eight more Oklahoma SPJ awards, including “Best Website” for the second year in a row. In 2020, NonDoc received nine more Oklahoma SPJ honors.